Thursday 3 March 2016

Social media for dummies:How to grow you following like a pro



I did say I was going to share some social media strategies I learnt at the just concluded Social Media Week event here in Lagos. First, here's a small disclaimer- I am not a social media person, I'd rather do without it, I hardly update my Instagram and I'd rather not be on BBM. That said, I know that I cannot be a blogger and not have a social media presence, so I'm praying God will bless me with money to pay someone to manage my social media so that I'm not bothered with doing it myself. Moving on, growing your social media following requires patience and consistency. Your following cannot skyrocket in a day Unless you take a picture half naked beside a sleeping Davido and share the photos on twitter and Instagram. (clears throat). But if you try these few steps I have learned from my new position as head of fashion for a new e-commerce company launching soon and from social media week you just might get a hag of it.




*HASHTAGS- If you love Instagram, then you have to master the art of hashtagging without looking spammy. Hashtags are the most used search tools on Instagram and with the right hashtag your page can be found, but you have to use hashtags that are relevant to your posts so that you reach people in your niche. E.g #fashion #fashionblogger . It helps to check your Instagram mentors ad see what hashtags they're using and try them out.

*SHARE LINKS- Share links to your social media pages on your blog using social media widgets, it's a good way of referring your blog followers to your social media pages. If they love what you write, they might as well want to... er.. see you more often. Lol

*CONSISTENCY- Don't be like me and post once a week and expect your social media to grow, you should try to pots at least, LEAST, once daily, if you can do more, it's better. But this keeps your page engaging and lets prospective followers know you're active.

*PICTURE QUALITY- You mustn't have a DSLR to have clear pictures, all you need is a phone with a good camera, don't over filter your photos, and keep them clear and neat. Sharing funny quotes and motivation messages are good too.

*HAVE A VOICE- Everybody cannot like everything, so decide a tone you want to set for your page. Are you fun? Serious? Feminist? Let it show in your style of writing, captions and in your pictures, and people who like your style will surely like your page. Everyone has a market,

*OTHERS- Follow people, like their phots, comment on others photos (Luke 6:31) etc.

 
I decdied to not wear makeup to work and dress as simply as I could manage. There should be turn down days. I hate pink, but this seemed a nice combination so I threw on my beret and off I went.





How do you create engagement and grow your social media followrship? I'll love to learn. Do share with us.

Stay fab!;

No comments: