Friday 4 March 2016

Is fashion critique supposed to be funny? or derogatory?




I love fashion, and I love to write about it. I followed fashion police for years and for some time I subscribed to the school of thought that fashion critique could be derogatory, afterall, the celebs are public figures, but I had to admit later on that they are people too. I used to work as a fashion writer for an online magazine and weekly I'd pick a celeb and I'd dissect their outfit in a fashion that was quite rude, and my boss scolded me, reminding me that they were people, they had feelings, if I had to talk about anything they wore I should say it like a professional and attack the outfit, not the person. I should be able to say why it didn't work, I should be able to advice my readers on how to do it better, and finally to understand that it is an opinion not a war.

The AMVCAs will hold tomorrow, and it's the Oscars of Nollywood, everyone who's anyone is going to be there, and fashion critiques will pull out the big guns, and we when we do, let us do it like we understand the essesnce of fashion. With respect to the wearer, and with solutions and reasons for our descisions. Let's be civilized, let's be objective and clear, let's treat people as we want to be treated; With respect.


I wore this last Friday to work with a blazer and later I took off the blazer and went for the wrap up party of the social media week and a little TGIF night out with friends.

 This skirt was made for a friend's wedding and though I had something else in mind, I had my tailor line it with my aso ebi gele, just for the sake of being innovative, I found out, albeit too late, that aso oke can be quite hard on the skin, and because it doesn't strech, it could be tough when it's tight and bunch up without hugging your body (hence the bulge that makes me look like I ned to suck belle). I love the skirt though, I think it's very pretty. I tried on two different shoes and later opted for the nude pointies, just because... just because. Lol.



 





What do you think of fashion critique and how do you think it should be tackled?
Have a great award weekend.
Be kind

No comments: