Tuesday 8 March 2016

#InterationalWomensDay: Women are women's worst enemies... An ode to strong women




 I was once told never to expect anything from anyone, that has been my mantra for years. I listen to the news and I hear arrested criminals blaming the government for the lack of jobs which led them to crime, and I cringe, why should I wait for the government to give me a job before I get my shit together. I haven't always had it all figured out, I only remember promising myself that fashion was going to pay my bills because I loved it so much and God wouldn't give me a talent I couldn't monetize. As I grew older, I started familiarizing myself with the concept of Feminism, Self development, Self worth, I started to set a standard for myself, to raise the bar very high so that my dreams are not average, I knew already there were no ready made jobs waiting for me when I graduated so I got a hubby, I started to utilize the internet, I started to develop myself, take free courses on Coursera and EDx But to be fair, work hasn't made it easy to keep up with my assignments and deadlines but I do the best I can.


 I want to make a difference in my niche, in my country, in my family, I refuse to be average, I refuse to wait for society or anyone to provide me with anything, I have taken charge of my life and put my future in my hands, I have decided to succeed against all odds.


It's international women's day today, and I'm taking a stand with strong women all over the world who are defying stereotypes and making their marks in their different spheres and saying; "We are women, we can be anything we want to be, we refuse to be labeled as 'Just wives' we are much much more"

Today I am celebrating a few strong women and friends I have come to know and learn from and who have inspired me in a lot of ways. Women who have risen above societal mediocrities and have decided to put their foot down in their own little way to overcome every obstacle with the aim to succeed. You might not know them, yet, but I do, I laud them, and appreciate the little nuggets of wisdom we have shared with one another. I encourage our women and young ladies to stop aspiring only to marriage but also to greatness, you can be so much more than a wife, just don't settle for average.
My beautiful wahala mommy, who gave me so much trouble just to make me a proper lady, she ,makes me cook all kinds of things and do all kinds of menial jobs (Slavery+house chores) She taught me to be strong, independent and tolerant. She's good, she's kind, she's strong and thankfully she's mine.

Udoka Okuofu is the marketer for In the city Lagos, a free monthly publication. She markets a magazine that is free but can get the big wigs to advertise and keep it running. She never learned marketing, she didn't read it in school, it's something she learned all by herself. I admire her greatly!

Ebele Nwaobi, and Maria Anyawu are my colleagues, we work with an e-commerce company that is coming to kick Jumia and their counterparts to the curb pretty soon (yes I'm boasting). I can't say much about this two women until the right time, but they do great work to make this dream a reality. One of them writes codes (damn!)

Barr Chigozie Ugwunna is an outspoken lawyer with a passion for women liberation, she's a feminist, she's a fighter, I might not always like her methods, but you gotta respect a woman with standards. 
Dawwan Stephanie Ejomah is a serial entrepreneur, she's an MC an OAP, a teacher, headed for her PHd soon, she's pretty, she's smart, she's independent, and people say she's feisty but what do you expect from a lady who has fought her way and made a name for herself by herself. Kudos



We are a unique breed, us women, and with great effort, we can acheive great feats. Women are their own worst enemies, but their own best friends, let's show love and encouragement to one another. 

Happy International women's day.
XOXO

1 comment:

Dawan Ejomah said...

Just came across this while surfing the internet. Interesting read. Keep doing what you do best and kudos to your 'ministry'