Friday 8 April 2016

If we could wear ankara every day would you like it?



TGIF!! It's Frday and I won't be ranting in this post. It's simply an outfit post. I made this detachable peplum to go with a dress I wore for a wedding two years ago. If I could wear indigenous pieces, I'll wear them everyday, incorporated in minor details (which I do) But let's be honest, cost of sewng is quite expensive, and because tailors know we sew for special occasions, they cut our necks for quality tailoring (rolls eyes). But I love that we are loving our own now. We embrace our natural hair, our fabrics, our locally made goods, it's an improvement I am very proud of.


Today I styled my flared pants with my trusty sweater which I love to wear backwards, and I used the peplum as a belt and to infuse a touch of ankara into my outfit, it's Fridy anyway, rock your ankara in minimal tones today. #IRepNaija


I have a dream, that someday we would no longer need to compulsorily wear western pieces to work, and our ankara pieces will not be delegated to just Fridays and weekends. I have a dream that well tailored African pieces will be embraced even by white collar companies and we’ll be encouraged to wear our own, if we so wish. It may seem a far fetched dream, but impossible isn’t a word.


 
Have a great weekend. On Sunday, I'll share a funny alopecia story.

No comments: