Thursday 9 June 2016

This might be the reason no one is replying your job applications




I changed jobs recently, I presently work with a new eCommerce brand in Nigeria. Though we haven't launched yet, we have been reviewing a lot of résumés for open positions in the company. I was privileged to work on these résumés with my boss and he was upset with a lot of the applications he got. He shared with me his frustrations and I'm in turn passing on the knowledge I acquired from the experience. We received over 200 résumés, we barely selected 20, here's why.

  1. No cover letter: Employers get a lot of résumés and it could be a bit overwhelming going through all of them, how do they shortlist? Cover letters. We ignored applications without cover letters for two reasons- The open position needed someone with a good command of English and a cover letter gives an insight as to how well you speak and write. The second reason is, we could determine if you were qualified for the position without having to go through your résumé. Just sending a "Find attached my CV" doesn't exactly show seriousness. #JustSaying
  2. Ostentatious use of words: A résumé would say "I am equivocally capable to literally and emotionally serve your reputable company within the confines of my ability to ensure adequate and substantive use of my time" We get big grammar like this all the time and guess what? 90% of the time they were wrongly used. E no go epp you. Simple, straight to the point sentences that introduces yourself, your qualifications and your acknowledgements will suffice. 3 short paragraphs only. No extra words.
  3. Proofread proofread proofread: Some people actually send in letters marred with grammatical errors that can make reading them very 'eye rolling' (for lack of a better word, Lol). Proofreading shows attention to detail and when you actually say it in your letter, it's evident in your writing.
  4. Tell the truth: If you know your  résumé was copied from a friends' friend whose  résumé looked very good, please say AYE! lol. Yes, we saw a lot of that especially in the "personal objectives" We need to go back to our résumés and remove all those " I am a capable, mentally stable individual with a knack of propriety and blah blah blah" Your Objectives should be rid of all that grammar, should actually tell the truth about who you are and in simple language too.
I hope this helps a lot of hopefuls looking to get employed.
I see Friday!! Yay!!

Image source- Linkedin

No comments: